This simple cookie dough pie crust serves as a wonderful baking canvas for any filling that you can dream up. 'Tis the season to bake lots of pies. Today, we are focused on the Thanksgiving feast. You can use this pie crust recipe for pies of the season including: pumpkin, pecan, apple, sweet potato to our almost famous Bumbleberry Pie.
A sugar cookie pie-dough is a lot easier to make from scratch than other pie crusts. The cookie like texture and consistency is also less daunting to work with, compared to other pie doughs. The dough needs to be chilled before rolling and packing into the pie tin. Once the tin is filled, use the remaining dough to cover the top! Break out those cookie cutters and get to decorating! Since its autumn, leaves or acorns would look cute and fit the season. If you are making this pie during the spring, use flower cut-outs like we did. The possibilities are endless.
This summer was the very first time in my life that I baked a scratch pie! One of the best things I bought was this pastry mat. It served as a rolling guide, to help me roll the dough into just the right sized circle.
Adapting our Cookie Dough Pie Crust
Any recipe does not reach true perfection until you’ve added your own touch to it. At Bee Inspired Honey House we encourage you to play with your food. Change up this recipe. Here are some ideas:
- Add raw cocoa powder for a chocolatey crust
- Mix in all natural food dye for artistic crust decorations
- Dust the finished product with powdered sugar
If you make this sugar cookie pie dough for your next pie, take a few photos and share them with us using #beeinspired on Instagram. We would love to see your pie crust designs!
Simple Cookie Dough Pie Crust
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c butter softened
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 dash salt
In mixing bowl beat softened butter with mixer
- Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Beat until combined
- Add egg yolk, sour cream and vanilla
- Beat until combined
- Add flour and beat until mixture is fully combined
- Divide in half, pat into discs to make rolling easy, wrap in plastic and allow to chill
- When you are ready to make your pie, push into pie crust tin and use remaining dough to top your pie. Make fun shapes and designs, remember to leave air holes so your pie does not explode in the oven!
- per serving
- 36 grams
- 3 grams
- 13 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 8 grams
- 58 milligrams
- 130 milligrams
- 74 milligrams
- 12 grams
- 32 milligrams
- 1.5 milligrams