This Spicy Nut Mix made with our honey really has a kick of sweet heat! Roasted with our Eastern Shore Honey, these nuts are crunchy and sweet and are the perfect on-the-go snack for day trips to the shore or a weekend in the mountains. Dried blueberries are a little sweet surprise that helps to even out the spiciness in the mix, but you could always substitute any dried fruit of your choice.
It's National Trail Mix day and we are celebrating with a spicy nut mix.
Keep this trail mix in an airtight container and it will stay fresh for several weeks. We recommend making a big batch of this so that you always have a stockpile on hand to bag up and take with you. If you don't like spicy foods, you could easily swap in cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla extract instead of the spices.
Nuts are very good for you unless you're allergic to them! They're packed with healthy fats and minerals and will give you a steady source of energy than other snack foods lack. If you're on a vegetarian or vegan diet, nuts can provide you with a great source of healthy protein.
How to make Spicy Nut Mix
- Gather all the ingredients you need to make this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with Silpat mat.
- In a medium skillet, melt oil and honey over low to medium heat.
- Mix all nuts in a large bowl and add to skillet, making sure to coat all nuts evenly.
- Whisk spices together in a small bowl and add the spice mixture evenly spreading over the nut mixture.
- Spread the nuts in a single layer onto a lined rimmed baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes until dry and toasted.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Toss in dried blueberries.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Adapting our trail mix
You know, a recipe is not truly perfect until you’ve added your own touch to it. That’s why we encourage you to play with your food. Call to your inner chef to come out and play and change up this recipe. Here are some ideas –
- Mix in flaked coconut, dried cherries or raisins, or cocoa nibs.
- For a savory mix, top with a garnish of fresh chopped cilantro before serving.
- Switch out the spices and seasonings in the mix based on the season or your tastes.
If you decide to try this spicy nut mix and put your own spin on it, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #beeinspired on Instagram. We love to see your photos!
Spicy Honey Nut Mix
This Spicy Nut Mix made with our honey really has a kick of sweet heat! Roasted with our Eastern Shore Honey, these nuts are crunchy and sweet and are the perfect on-the-go snack for day trips.
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. Eastern Shore Honey
- 1 c raw whole almonds
- 1 c raw pecans pieces
- 1 c raw pistachio nutmeats
- 1/2 c raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 c dried blueberries
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F
- Line rimmed baking sheet with silpat mat
- In a medium skillet, melt oil and honey over low to medium heat
- Mix all nuts in a large bowl and add to skillet, making sure to coat all nuts evenly
- Whisk spices together in a small bowl and add the spice mixture evenly spreading over the nut mixture
- Spread the nuts in a single layer onto lined rimmed baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes until dry and toasted
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Toss in dried blueberries
- Store in airtight container at room temperature
- per serving
- 14 grams
- 6 grams
- 21 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3 grams
- 86 milligrams
- 308 milligrams
- 4 grams
- 7 grams
- Vitamin C
- 0.5 milligrams
- 55 milligrams
- 1.7 milligrams