Guess what! It’s officially Autumn, even though we’ve been feeling the seasons change for the past few weeks! What’s the best way to celebrate? With a pumpkin recipe, of course! Cookies, muffins, donuts, lattes...and a Honey Pumpkin Pie are all excellent right now, don’t you agree? It’s never too early to get cooking with pumpkin; at least, it isn’t, in our opinion.
Pumpkin pie can be a little tricky-make it too liquidy, and it won’t set up correctly. On the other hand, if it’s too dry, it’ll be tough and spongy. I don’t recommend blending solid ingredients into the pumpkin puree- I’ve had pies with coconut mixed in, and the texture is strange. Take your time, and your pie will turn out beautifully!
Our Honey Pumpkin Pie can be made as individual tarts or a whole pie-it’s up to you! Tarts won’t take as long to bake and make sweet little treats for friends. If you have a POD (pumpkin obsession disorder), then a whole pie might make it a little harder to binge... however, we won’t judge if you have an extra slice.
My friend Joyce Wallace and I had fun adapting this recipe from one we found in Maida Heatter’s Pies and Tarts. We added bourbon for a bit of depth and smokiness and decided to go for an earthy touch using Buckwheat Honey. Buckwheat Honey is perfect for baking since it has a rich and molasses-y flavor plus texture. However, any dark honey, like avocado honey, will do the trick.
Why use honey?
Honey contributes to the depth of baked goods’ flavor and caramelization. Baking with honey often requires experimentation from oven to oven. Combining honey with pumpkin will contribute to the overall texture of the pie. In most baked goods, less honey is needed than sugar which helps reduce sugar intake. You may have to experiment with a pie or two to get your measurements right with your oven.
How to Make Bourbon + Honey Pumpkin Pie
Step 1: Prepare your oven.
Adjust a rack one-third from the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Step 2: Get your crust ready.
Have a prepared, unbaked crust in the freezer. It must be in the freezer for at least 20-30 minutes.
Step 3: Prep the cream
Place the cream in a small saucepan uncovered on moderate heat. Let stand until slightly wrinkled skin forms on top or tiny bubbles appear around the edge.
Step 4: Make the batter.
In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add vanilla, sugar, honey, bourbon and salt, and spices. Add the pumpkin and mix well. Gradually stir in the warm cream.
Step 8: Make and bake the pie.
Pour pumpkin filling into frozen crust and bake for 10 minutes at 450; reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30-40 minutes longer (total baking time 40-50 minutes) until a small sharp knife is gently inserted into the middle of the pie comes out clean.
We took this recipe and switched it up to make it our own, and we encourage you to do the same! Here are some of our suggestions:
- Swirl in a bit of cream cheese for a cheesecake-swirl pie
- Top with candied pecans
- Add a small handful of dark chocolate or butterscotch chips
Are you as excited about the season as we are? Post a picture of your pumpkin pie and use the hashtag #beeinspired on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Bourbon + Honey Pumpkin Pie
This Bourbon + Honey Pumpkin Pie can be made as tarts or a whole pie. Tarts won't take as long to bake and make sweet little treats for friends.
- 1 9- inch extra deep pie shell frozen, unbaked
- 1 3/4 c light cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c light brown sugar
- 1/4 c Waxing Kara Honey Buckwheat, Bamboo or Avocado
- 2 tbsp. bourbon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. mace
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper finely ground
- 1 lb solid-pack pumpkin 2 cups canned, (not filling)
Adjust a rack one-third from the bottom of the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Have a prepared unbaked crust in the freezer. It must be in the freezer at least 20-30 minutes.
- Place the cream in a small saucepan uncovered on moderate heat. Let stand until a slightly wrinkled skin forms on top or tiny bubbles appear around the edge.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- Add vanilla, sugar, honey, bourbon and salt and spices.
- Add the pumpkin and mix well.
- Gradually stir in the warm cream.
- Don’t remove the pie crust from the freezer until you are ready to bake.
- Pour pumpkin filling in frozen crust and bake for 10 minutes at 450, reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30-40 minutes longer (total baking time 40-50 minutes) until a small sharp knife gently inserted into the middle of the pie comes out clean.
- Cool on rack.
- per serving
- 32 grams
- 4 grams
- 20 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 10 grams
- 95 milligrams
- 214 milligrams
- 188 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 17 grams
- Vitamin C
- 2.1 milligrams
- 62 milligrams
- 1.5 milligrams