Wondering what the star ingredient is of this spectacular Old-Fashioned Apple Pie recipe? If you guessed, honey, you are right. Honey will caramelize the apples in the baking process, offering a flavor that can't be achieved any other way. In this recipe, we also use green Granny Smith apples. The sweetness of the honey offsets the sour apple making a truly delicious pie with just the right amount of sweetness. Granny Smith apple is a harder apple, so it tends to hold its shape better in the baking process. This adds a nice bite to the pie and does not turn out mushy.
Make this Apple Pie Recipe for National Pi Day
We've shared a wonderful gluten-free apple pie in the past, but in honor of Pi Day, we've decided to bring you an old-fashioned apple pie recipe that will knock your socks off. And who doesn't love a good pie?
How to Make Old-Fashioned Apple Pie
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, you'll need to gather all the ingredients needed to make this Old-Fashioned Apple Pie Recipe, including apples, sugar, honey, lemons, pastry flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ready-made pie crusts. If you want to make a scratch pie crust, try this recipe.
Once you've gathered all of your ingredients to make this apple pie, it's simple.
Peel and slice the apples. Add lemon juice to a large bowl and set aside.
Whisk together cold water, almond flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan. Add honey and mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, constantly stirring so it doesn't catch. Cook and stir until the mixture thickens and becomes translucent. Pour honey mixture over apples and stir to coat evenly.
Place one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Pour apple mixture into the pie crust. Place the second crust over the apple filling. Pinch together and flute the edges of the crust to seal. Cut slits in the top crust for steam to escape. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Play with your Apple Pie!
At Bee Inspired, to us, a recipe is just a suggestion. We want you to get creative with your food and change it based on your favorite flavors. Here are some ideas on ways to make this old-fashioned apple pie your own:
- Try making the crust with a woven lattice top, or some other creative way of using a pie crust
- Serve with homemade dairy-free blueberry ice cream
- Top the pie with our caramel sauce
- If you feel creative, try making our homemade cookie dough pie crust.
If you try this old-fashioned apple pie, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #beeinspired on Instagram. We love seeing your photos! Not a fan of making an apple pie in the summer? Save this recipe on Pinterest and pull it up for Thanksgiving or the holidays!
Old-Fashioned Apple Pie
A traditional old fashioned apple pie
- 6 cups Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice fresh
- 1 1/4 cups water cold
- 1/3 cup flour pastry
- 1 tsp. cinnamon ground
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg ground
- 1 cup Waxing Kara Honey Eastern Shore
- 2 9-inch pie crusts ready-made or make your own
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix sliced apples and lemon juice in large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, whisk together cold water, almond flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add honey and mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture thickens and becomes translucent. Pour honey mixture over apples and stir to coat evenly.
- Place one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Pour apple mixture on top of pie crust.
- Place second crust over filling. Pinch together and flute edges of crust to seal. Cut slits in top crust for steam to escape.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- per serving
- 76 grams
- 4 grams
- 13 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4 grams
- 209 milligrams
- 176 milligrams
- 4 grams
- 44 grams
- Vitamin C
- 5.9 milligrams
- 24 milligrams
- 1.9 milligrams