This smoked salmon pizza makes a great meal
Indisputable truth: pizza is popular. In my time spent in the Honey House, we’ve been witnessing another truth; honey is also very popular. All across the board – to people of every age and culture, honey is multi-palatable, nostalgically universal, and (much to our joy) undiscriminating. It is also very, very diverse. Just like one of my favorites, Smoked Salmon Pizza with Honey Drizzle.
My personal favorite is Smoked Salmon Pizza
Which is what I think can be partially attributed to the growing wave of more conscientious, sweetener-mindful shoppers, eaters, cooks, and chefs. Who needs white sugar when you can use raw, rich deep brown buckwheat honey in your cinnamon + red currant bread or drizzle orange blossom honey over a plate of Gorgonzola Dolce laden brioche toasts?
I don’t know what made me wait so long to recreate this masterpiece on my own, but now that it’s been done with success, I’d be remiss to not spread the good news.
Not to be difficult, but because adventurous eating seems more fulfilling. I must admit that this, my favorite pizza is an imitation from a version that I have had in the south. It features smoked salmon with goat cheese, caramelized onions, and honey and this is as close as I could get.
I think that you'll agree it's quite lovely. I actually revisited this recipe and used the ready-made (in the freezer section) cauliflower crust (in place of the pizza dough) from Whole Foods and it really wasn't so bad.
Some things to keep in mind when adding spices and glazes to your Smoked Salmon Pizza Recipe. Stay creative:
All great dishes should include a little bit of leeway; I may not make this the exact same way next time; Here are a few ideas to keep it interesting.
- Top the pizza with chopped greens marinated in honey lemon vinaigrette
- Use other smoked fish or meats in place of the smoked salmon
- Check out some of the more interesting Gluten-Free crusts, like this one made with cauliflower.
If you decide to make this recipe, be sure to take a photo and share them with us using #beeinspired on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Smoked Salmon Pizza
- 1 lb raw pizza dough
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c barbeque sauce
- 1 white or yellow onion sliced
- 6 oz package smoked salmon torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 oz package/log plain goat cheese sliced into ¼” thick slices
- 1/4 c Waxing Kara Honey
- 1 c arugula salad
Sauté sliced onion. Allow liquid to reduce to encourage browning. Add water a few tablespoons at a time and allow to evaporate until onions are caramelized. Set aside.
- Prepare your own pizza crust from scratch or follow instructions on package.
- Stretch pizza dough onto pizza stone or pan.
- Bake dough for 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Combine olive oil with barbecue sauce and spread glaze on crust.
- Add goat cheese slices to cover the glazed dough.
- Add salmon and top with caramelized onions and arugula salad.
- Drizzle honey evenly across pizza.
- Sprinkle with ground pepper and sea salt to taste.
- per serving
- 40 grams
- 9 grams
- 10 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2 grams
- 6 milligrams
- 683 milligrams
- 92 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 15 grams
- Vitamin C
- 1.4 milligrams
- 17 milligrams
- 2 milligrams